Fernando Alonso: Two-time Formula One champion ‘conscious’ and ‘well’ after cycling crash | World News
Formula One driver Fernando Alonso has been involved in a crash while cycling in Switzerland, his team has said.
The 39-year-old Spaniard is “conscious and well in himself”, his Alpine team said in a statement on Thursday.
The two-time world champion, who is due to make his F1 comeback this season after two years out of the sport, will have further tests on Friday morning, the statement added.
That prognosis is more hopeful than that reported earlier by Italy’s Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper.
Gazzetta said Alonso had been hit by a car while training on his bike near Lugano and was taken to hospital.
Initial X-rays suggested possible fractures, the paper said, and suggested Alonso may miss the start of the F1 season on 28 March.
The BBC, quoting sources close to Alonso, said he was hit by a car near his Lugano home and the indications were he has a jaw fracture.
It added that he would be taken to a specialist unit in Bern.
Alpine, formerly known as Renault and renamed after the French manufacturer’s sportscar brand, said there would be no further updates on Thursday.
Alonso has spent the last two years racing in other categories, including NASCAR.
He is making his return to F1 with the team he won his two world titles with in 2005 and 2006.
The Formula One championship is due to begin in Bahrain on 28 March with all races live on Sky Sports.
All copyrights for this article, including images, are reserved to the original source and/or creator(s).